Saturday, August 30, 2008

Teens and Privacy

How much privacy should we give our teens is a dilemma that most parents are confronted with. Some parents believe teens do not have a right to any privacy, whether it be in their bedroom, on myspace or facebook, on the computer, and even on the phone.

I have always expected my kids to give me privacy and I in turn have given them their privacy when they reached the age where they were mature enough to handle it. My youngest has had myspace since she was around 13 or so, and she voluntarily added me as a friend. I didn't require her to do it but she did it on her own. I have never had a problem with her computer use and I've never used any spyware to track where she goes on the computer. She gave me her password awhile ago because she wanted me to watch if she got an email about a job. But she knows that even though I have her password, I would never read any of her emails unless she asked me to, and i would never try to snoop her IM's. And she would do the same with me. As for her bedroom, that is her private area. Just like adults, children need their own space and since she has been in a serious relationship I have no problem giving her privacy whether it be by herself or with her boyfriend.

So I think privacy is something that we expect our kids to give us and in turn we should give them their privacy. Now if the situation ever came up where I thought she was abusing this priviledge, such as doing drugs, or other inappropriate activities then everything would change...but she knows that too, so she respects the privacy I give her and does not abuse it.

Privacy is important for all of us, and as long as our kids understand that it's a priveledge not to be abused, I'm all in favor of giving kids their privacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone told me once and also seems to work, is simply being quiet. Sometimes they will tell you stuff you didn't even ask them to.