Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Some Rules that Just Don't Make Sense

One of the most insightful blogs on parenting is authored by Dr. Karen Rayne, maybe I think it's insightful because I almost always agree with her lol. Anyway check out her blog it's a great resource for any parent. Adolescent Sexuality by Dr. Karen Rayne

But...back to matters at hand, her blog today was talking about parent's that set certain ages for their kids to start dating. And....I decided to take her question a little further and talk about certain rules and laws that make no sense, so here's a few:

1. You have to be 18 to buy cigarettes but you can buy lighters at any age.
2. Pot is illegal but rolling papers aren't.
3. You can't talk on a cell phone when you're driving but you can eat a BIg Mac.
4. Cigarettes and alcohal are legal but pot isn't.
5. Schools have pop machines for kids but they don't let kids drink coffee at school.
6. I can't smoke at work but the guy in the next cubicle can fart all he wants. (And his 2d hand fart smell is alot worse than my 2d hand cig smoke)
7. It's illegal to gamble unless you're the church or the state run lottery.
8. You can join the military and risk your life for your country at 18 but you can't drink until you're 21.

Just some thoughts from a libertarian Mom ....after I have more coffee maybe I'll think up some additional rules that don't make sense.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you! I don't have a teen...just an 11-month old, but yeah, people just don't think about rules that make absolutely no sense. Especially the fact that you can go and die in a war at 18 but not drink. Our country needs to loosen up a LOT. Where my DH is from (France), there is no drinking age, and (surprise!) binge drinking is pretty much unheard of.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.